MORITZ MEETS LOBSTERS AT FACULTY ORIENTATION
A LUNCH TO REMEMBER
HUMAN RIGHTS JOURNALISM WEB SITE
CASE STUDIES: "REPORTING AS A GLOBAL WATCHDOG"
UNITY COLLEGE STUDENTS' WRITINGS ON WEB
DOING BATTLE ON THE WEB
ENVIRONMENT RELATED SITES
TEACHING AT THE UNIVERSITY OF MAINE
CREATIVE TEACHING HOMEPAGE
If you need a break, come paddle with me on a kayak trip. Enjoy a kayak joke. For basic internet resources on the environment, check the Environmental Literacy Council.
Frederic Moritz has taught sections of College Composition and Advanced Writing at Unity College. For guides to improve your writing check out writing rubrics.
Here are some search engines; try them and compare them with a specific search:
- Alta Vista
- Ask Jeeves
- Quotation Search
- Search: Dogpile
- Search: Google
- Search: MetaCrawler
- Search: Northern Light
- Search: SavvySearch
Doing Battle on the Web:
- Mobilize for Global Justice: Opposing the World Bank and IMF.
- Responding to Protest: The World Bank emphasizes poverty.
Here are some environment related sites:
- Reference Desk: perhaps the single most powerful reference site on the web
- Maine Environmental Policy Institute: an environment news source
- Water Quality Sites on the WWW
- EPA's "Surf Your Watershed" Site
- Pesticides in American Water: U.S. Geological Survey
- Water Quality and Alcohol Drinks in America
- A Walk in the Woods, by Bill Bryson
- Appalachian Trail Homepage
- Appalachian Trailplace for Thru Hikers
- Amazon.com: a research tool for books and book reviews
- StudentU.Com study resources and lecture notes
- MyYahoo: create your personalized research tool
- Free Writing: Moritz on Sears Island kayak trip
- Auto-Dave: call this up and write an automated Dave Barry style newspaper humor column
- Rachel Carson: Witness For Nature by Linda Lear
- New York Times review of Dutch, Edmund Morris' Reagan biography, Forrest Gump style.
- Dutch: the first chapter
- Tom Wolfe website: explore this for background on the evolution of his work and writing style. What clues do you see about his approach to writing?
- Virtual Galapagos: visit the islands where "Darwinism" was born.
- Annie Dillard: understand her approach to Galapagos by exploring her "natural mysticism."
- Early Galapagos Explorers: check out the accounts of Darwin, Melville, etc. Follow the links in the footsteps of those who came before.
- Fernandina Volcano, Galapagos Islands. Many nice photos, some from space shuttle.
- Environmental Protection Agency Earthday Page
- Robbins Lumber, Searsmont, Maine, on forest management
- Here are some Unity College students writings on the web:
- Unity College Student Jared Ramsdell (Spring, 2000) follows Charles Darwin virtually to the Galapagos.
- Unity College Student Nicholas Bristol (Spring, 2000) lounges virtually with lizards on the Galapagos.
- Unity College student Jonica Martin (Fall, 1999) "Gumps" back to her scary time during the 1980 Mt. St. Helens eruption (Oct. 7 classroom exercise)
- Unity College student Josh Smith (Fall, 1999) "Gumps" back to his loyal long lasting friendship with Rachel Carson (Oct. 7 classroom exercise)
- Free Online Environmental Distance Courses
- Free Online General Distance Courses
- Online Education Newsletter (includes online reviews)
- Overview of Online Offerings (dated, but still useful)
- Worldwide Learn Directory
As an experiment in distance education Moritz edits and publishes on the Internet the gradually evolving "Writings From A Busy Day" by Christa Koenig, an Austrian/Swiss essayist and humorist. Koenig practices writing in her second language, English, while she raises two children and works in the business of her husband Ernest. Moritz and Koenig collaborate by email on how to integrate hypertext Internet links into essays so that writings published on the web are illustrated and complemented by vast international resources accessible on the web. This technique of publishing can be taught in the classroom or long distance.
RIGHTS REPORTING |
COLLEGE | UNITY